[IRTalk] The Sarah Jones award for open science - contributions and nominations

Heila Pienaar heila.pienaar at up.ac.za
Sat Jun 22 10:20:53 SAST 2024

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kevin Ashley <kevin.ashley at ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024, 6:52 pm
Subject: The Sarah Jones award for open science - contributions and
nominations
To: DCC Associates List <dcc-associates at lists.ed.ac.uk>

We spent some time at the DCC thinking how best to commemorate the life and
work
of our much-loved and much-missed colleague, Sarah Jones. It rapidly became
apparent that others were doing the same. In the spirit of collaboration
that
Sarah brought to so much that she did we felt it was best to work with those
others, aiming to achieve more through working together than any of us
could do
on our own.

In that spirit we are proud to support the Research Data Alliance (RDA)'s
creation of the Sarah Jones Award for fostering collaboration in open
science
(https://www.rd-alliance.org/the-sarah-jones-award/).

Like them, we wanted to create something lasting that reflected Sarah's
commitment to open working and the support and enthusiasm she offered
freely to
so many. We are contributing what we can as individuals to the fund behind
this
award. We urge you to do the same if, like us, your life was touched in
some way
by her. You can make your contribution via the dedicated Go Fund Me page
(https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-sarah-jones-award).

Whether or not you can contribute you are also invited to nominate
candidates
for the award. Full details of the criteria and nomination process are on
the
award page (link above). Nominations must arrive by September 12th 2024.

Our earlier announcement of her untimely passing reflected on how much she
meant
to us at the DCC and links to the many messages left on her RDA and GEANT
memorial pages:

https://www.dcc.ac.uk/news/sarah-jones-remembered

Kevin Ashley

--
Kevin Ashley. Director, Digital Curation Centre
http://www.dcc.ac.uk/

--

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf