[Irtalk] A better term for "scholarly communication"?

Allison Fullard afullard at uwc.ac.za
Wed Jul 8 13:40:48 SAST 2015

Hi All
I was following an interesting thread on the discussion list called
ScholComm.  An individual noted that the term "scholarly communication"
tends to be used rather loosely to reference a whole range of
activities.

The outcome of the on and off conversation has been posted as a blog by
Kevin Hawkins at http://www.ultraslavonic.info/blog/?p=89

What I note is that the term may be used as shorthand for at least 3
separate concepts and that we could try to apply greater precision.
Helpfully, some alternative terms are offered for use in particular
settings.

"I’m always a bit afraid to use “scholarly” when talking to anyone but
a humanities scholar since I sense that people in most other fields use
“scientific” or “research” in these cases. So I like “research
communication”.

Something to think about
Best wishes
Allison