[Irtalk] FW: [EIFLoa] Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) Newsletter - August 2012

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Fri Aug 17 14:19:51 SAST 2012

From: eifloa-bounces at lists.eifl.net [mailto:eifloa-bounces at lists.eifl.net] On Behalf Of Iryna Kuchma
Sent: 17 August 2012 09:07
To: eifloa
Subject: [EIFLoa] Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) Newsletter - August 2012

[Forwarded message from Janneke Adema]
** Apologies for cross-posting **

The Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) invites you to participate in a survey.
Invitation to take part in the DOAB survey

We are pleased to invite you to take part in a survey to help us learn about your needs and expectations with respect to the services, workflows and protocols that we are developing for the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB).

The Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) is a discovery service for Open Access monographs and a metadata dissemination service. DOAB provides a searchable index to peer-reviewed monographs and edited volumes published under an Open Access business model, with links to the full texts of the publications at the publisher's website or repository. DOAB allows aggregators, libraries and other service providers to harvest metadata on Open Access monographs in order to integrate these in their catalogues and services.

This questionnaire contains approximately 15 questions and takes about 10 minutes to complete. The collected data will be anonymised.

To participate, please click on this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DOAB

Thank you in advance for your kind contribution, which will help us improve DOAB further. For any further questions regarding the survey or DOAB, please contact: info at oapen.org<mailto:info at oapen.org>

DOAB online discussion

>From the 9th until the 22nd of July DOAB hosted an online discussion on Open Access books with publishers, academics, librarians, and participants from the wider Open Access and publishing community. During these two weeks a variety of topics have been discussed ranging from what is an Open Access book, to issues related to quality control, peer review, copyright, and business and funding models for Open Access books. The discussion provided us with some valuable insights that will be used to formulate recommendations for the DOAB and that will guide further research.

As we felt the mailing list on which the discussion took place might serve a valuable function outside and beyond the context of this discussion, we will continue it as a place for conversation, consultation, and announcements with respect to Open Access books. To subscribe to the DOAB mailing list please follow this link: https://listserv.gwdg.de/mailman/listinfo/doab
For those who were unable to take part in the discussion, archives of the discussion have been kept here, and digests of the daily discussion have been posted to the DOABlog.

DOAB search box on your website
We developed a search box for Libraries and other information resources. Through this service, users can search and access DOAB directly. More information in the About section at DOAB: http://www.doabooks.org/doab?func=about&uiLanguage=en#searchBox

MARCXML metadata format

To enable easier incorporation into library catalogues, we have added the MARCXML metadata format the OAI-PMH interface. More information in the About section at DOAB: http://www.doabooks.org/doab?func=about&uiLanguage=en#metadata

Welcoming new OA publishers and books

We are happy to welcome many new OA book publishers who have joined DOAB in the last few months. There are now more than 1100 OA books from 30 publishers, with more publishers pending.

4th Conference on Open Access Scholarly Publishing

OASPA, the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, has announced its 4th conference. COASP 2012 will take place from September 19th to the 21st, and will be held at the Gerbeaud House in Budapest, Hungary. This years' conference will be of special interest for Open Access book publishers, as part of the program will be dedicated to book publishing. Further details about the conference can be found at http://oaspa.org/conference/.

For more information, please contact Eelco Ferwerda, director of the OAPEN Foundation, e.ferwerda at oapen.org<mailto:e.ferwerda at oapen.org>

E-pos vrywaringsklousule Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige l?ers aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie. E-mail disclaimer This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.