[Wcm] FW: Course on writing skills

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Wed Aug 17 11:59:41 SAST 2011

Fyi

From: Smith, Ina <ismith at sun.ac.za>
Sent: 17 August 2011 11:43
To: 'tjvd at sun.ac.za'
Subject: RE: Course on writing skills

Colleagues

Tobie called me just now. If we go ahead with a writing skills course for web pages, it will be regarded as a 1 day tailor-made course (they usually charge R 15 000, but the University gets a discount, which will then cost us between R 10 000 and R 12 000). He will give our request some thinking, and will then get back with a proper quote before Friday (he will be overseas for a while, and therefore will only be able to present such a course from 6 Sept., unless he calls in assistance from his colleagues). I indicated to him that approximately 30 persons are involved.

The options:

1.       We have the editing done by an external person - I told him this is not an option, since we want to have our own staff acquire the necessary skills.

2.       He presents a course only after we went live with the web, and then he will have sufficient time to prepare and present himself. I would prefer not to go this route.

3.       He (or his colleagues in his absence) presents a 1 day course with pointers, which can then result in a style guide which we can refer to when working with web content. He will investigate whether they can fit it in during the next 3 weeks, and will get back to me on this. I prefer this option.

Will keep you posted. Feel free to contribute in any way if you have any other suggestions.

Kind regards
Ina