[SUNScholar] SUNScholar News 06/05/2010 - SUNScholar Nuus 06/05/2010

Smith, Ina <ismith@sun.ac.za> ismith at sun.ac.za
Thu May 6 12:52:44 SAST 2010

Dear all

Thank you for spreading the word ...
I want to make use of this opportunity to thank my colleagues who are actively promoting SUNScholar amongst their various departments. To the others - I know you are all very busy, and am looking forward to also help your departments and faculties get on board. I am fortunate to have you as colleagues, and to work with you as a team! For now thanks to the following:

Economic and Management Sciences (Carine Tymbios & Hanlie Strydom)
Health Sciences (Linda Bellairs & Ingrid vd Westhuizen)
DOMUS (Music) (Santie de Jongh)
USBI (Henriëtte Swart)

If I've left out anybody, my apologies, and please then forward me the necessary info.
Thank you also for interest from faculty members in joining this mailing list! I was amazed by the spontaneous reactions, and also from lecturers who approached us out of their own to get to know more about SUNScholar! This makes Stellenbosch University very unique compared to others who struggle to get buy-in from faculty. Many thanks all!

Digitisation needs within the library
Thank you all for also forwarding your digitisation needs for the Carnegie Foundation wish list. If I can have the final needs by next week Thursday 13 May 2010, I can consolidate it and forward it to library management so that they can forward it to the relevant people. The final date has been postponed on request of a few of you. The wish list incl. all digitisation projects we wish for, will be made available on the SUNScholar wiki at http://bib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar .

Marketing of SUNScholar
Currently the marketing pamphlets are available at http://bib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/General_Information We hope to have a SUNScholar web site up and running soon, which will contain all info about SUNScholar, procedures, policies, the business plan, etc. This is involves a whole process, which needs to be approved by library management.

Carnegie Research Academy
I was fortunate to attend above together with 5 other colleagues at our library. Click here<http://strandwoonstel.blogspot.com/2010/04/carnegie-research-academy-11-23-april.html> for my personal feedback. More comprehensive feedback by all will be given during a Happy Hour session, which will be arranged by library management. During this academy open access, institutional repositories, copyright, intellectual property, publishing articles, etc. were discussed many times.

One role we as faculty librarians can play is advocating and making our researchers aware that we want to include a copy of each item published by them in SUNScholar. This will be easier if they don't sign away their copyright to the publishers. They have the option of including a SPARC Author Addendum<http://www.arl.org/sparc/author/addendum.shtml> when publishing an article with any publisher. This Addendum is a legal instrument that modifies the publisher's agreement and allows researchers to keep key rights to their articles. The Author Addendum is a free resource developed by SPARC in partnership with Creative Commons<http://www.creativecommons.org/> and Science Commons<http://science.creativecommons.org/>, established non-profit organizations that offer a range of copyright options for many different creative endeavours. Publishers usually do not have a problem with this at all.

Theses & Dissertations
Many thanks to Paulette for her hard work re trying to reduce the backlog, and the cataloguers for the role they play. Paulette is currently working on the March 2010 theses & dissertations, and they will hopefully be processed and available for use on the WWW soon. Thanks also to Ivan who is assisting with the digitisation of theses/dissertations, and who is always willing to help out.

Open Access Week 2010
Please make a note in your diaries for Open Access Week 18-24 October 2010. Would love to get your input on how we can celebrate it! Visit http://www.openaccessweek.org/ . Stellenbosch University has also been registered on this web page.

With kind regards
Ina (on behalf of the SUNScholar Team)
________________________________
Beste kollegas

Dankie dat julle help om die woord te versprei ...
Ek wil van die geleentheid gebruik maak om dankie te sê aan al my kollegas wat besig is om SUNScholar aktief onder hul departemente te bemark. Aan die ander - ek weet julle is baie besig, maar sien uit om ook saam met julle te werk sodra julle 'n kansie kry. Ek is bevoorreg om saam met sulke kollegas te werk, en deel te wees van hierdie span! Dankie aan die volgende solank:

Ekonomiese- en Bestuurswetenskappe (Carine Tymbios & Hanlie Strydom)
Gesondheidswetenskappe (Linda Bellairs & Ingrid vd Westhuizen)
DOMUS (Musiek) (Santie de Jongh)
USBI (Henriëtte Swart)

Indien ek iemand uitgelaat het vra ek om verskoning, en ook dat julle vir my die nodige inligting sal deurstuur.
Dankie ook aan lede van fakulteit vir jul belangstelling om by hierdie verspreidingslys aan te sluit!  Ek was oorweldig deur die spontane reaksie, ook vanaf navorsers wat ons uit hul eie genader het oor SUNScholar! Dit maak Stellenbosch Universiteit definitief uniek wanneer mens kyk hoe ander sukkel om inkoop te kry vanaf fakulteit. Baie dankie julle!

Digitiseringsbehoeftes binne die biblioteek
Dankie aan almal wat reeds hul digitiseringsbehoeftes deurgestuur het vir die "Carnegie Foundation" wenslys. Die datum is op versoek uitgestel na Donderdag 13 Mei 2010, wanneer ek dan die lys sal konsolideer, vir biblioteekbestuur sal deurgee, en hulle dit dan verder kan hanteer. Die wenslys sal beskikbaar gemaak word op die SUNScholar wiki by http://bib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar .

Bemarking van SUNScholar
Die bemarkingspamflette is tans beskikbaar op die SUNScholar wiki by  http://bib.sun.ac.za/index.php/SUNScholar/General_Information Ons hoop om spoedig 'n SUNScholar webbladsy in plek te hê, wat alle inligting rondom  SUNScholar, prosedures, beleide, die besigheidspan, ens. sal bevat. Hierdie is natuurlik 'n hele proses wat ook deur bestuur goedgekeur moet word.

Carnegie Navorsingsakademie
Ek was bevoorreg om saam met 5 ander kollegas van ons biblioteek bg. by te woon. Kliek hier<http://strandwoonstel.blogspot.com/2010/04/carnegie-research-academy-11-23-april.html> vir my persoonlike terugvoer. Volledige terugvoer deur almal sal tydens 'n "Happy Hour"-sessie gegee word, wat deur biblioteekbestuur gereël sal word. Gedurende hierdie akademie het die volgende telkens ter sprake gekom: oop toegang, institusionele pakhuise, kopiereg, intellektuele eiendom, publisering van artikels, ens.

'n Rol wat ons as fakulteitsbibliotekarisse kan speel is om seker te maak ons navorsers is bewus daarvan dat ons graag 'n kopie van elke artikel wat hulle publiseer, in SUNScholar wil bewaar. Ons kan dit maklik doen as hulle onthou om nie hul regte weg te teken nie. Die SPARC Author Addendum<http://www.arl.org/sparc/author/addendum.shtml> kan ingesluit word wanneer 'n ooreenkoms met 'n uitgewer aangegaan word. Volgens die SPARC-webbladsy: " This Addendum is a legal instrument that modifies the publisher's agreement and allows researchers to keep key rights to their articles. The Author Addendum is a free resource developed by SPARC in partnership with Creative Commons<http://www.creativecommons.org/> and Science Commons<http://science.creativecommons.org/>, established non-profit organizations that offer a range of copyright options for many different creative endeavours." Uitgewers het gewoonlik gladnie 'n probleem hiermee nie.

Tesisse & Verhandelinge
Baie dankie aan Paulette wat hard gewerk het om die agterstand te begin wegwerk. Sy is tans besig met die Maart 2010 tesisse en verhandelinge, en hulle sal hopelik spoedig oop beskikbaar wees op die WWW. Dankie aan die katalogiseerders wat haar daarmee help, en aan Ivan wat altyd gewillig is om te help met die digitisering van tesisse.

Oop Toegangsweek 2010
Maak sommer nou al 'n nota in jul dagboeke vir bg. 18-24 Oktober 2010. Dit sal vreeslik lekker wees as julle idees het oor hoe ons dit kan vier! Besoek http://www.openaccessweek.org/ Stellenbosch Universiteit is ook geregistreer op hierdie web.

Met vriendelike groete
Ina (namens die SUNScholar-span)

Ina Smith
E-Research Repository Manager