[IRTalk] Want to try out a Research Data Management Tool? NRF/DIRISA Data Management Plan: Pilot Phase

Nobubele Shozi NSHOZI at csir.co.za
Mon May 7 06:25:42 SAST 2018

Good day all,

Yes there is currently training material being developed for the tool.
Looking forward to engagements with regards to the DMP tool.

Kind Regards,
Nobubele Shozi

>>> Anwar Vahed 04/05/2018 12:03 >>>
Dear Simon

We are preparing training materials and guidelines for the tool and
would be very keen to work with your colleague at ICSU, Katsia
Paulavets, and with other interested parties on this. Nobubele can
provide further details.

You are very likely aware of the DCC's recent release of their upgraded
DMP system. We've elected not to adopt this system for a number of
reasons but our system is loosely modeled on similar functional
requirements.

Kind regards
Anwar

>>> "Simon Hodson, ED CODATA" <simon at codata.org> 04/05/2018 10:54 >>>

Hi Ina,

Many thanks indeed for this.

I would like to enquire further whether DIRISA or any partners have
already prepared or will be preparing training materials in the concepts
behind and the process of completing Data Management Plans.

As you know, the good practice of preparing data management plans at
the start of a project is becoming widespread and it is great to see a
South African DMP tool.  Researchers often need introduction and
training in key concepts and guidance on completing a DMP.  I add some
colleagues whom I know have interest in these areas.

My colleague at ICSU, Katsia Paulavets is interested in data management
/ DMP training for the LIRA programme.

With very best wishes,

Simon.
___________________________

International Data Week 2018: deadline for papers and poster abstracts
for SciDataCon, 31 May: consult the Call for Papers
<https://www.scidatacon.org/conference/IDW2018/call_for_papers/> and
the Accepted Sessions <https://www.scidatacon.org/IDW2018/sessions/>.

Apply to participate in the CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer
School and Advanced Workshops, Trieste, Italy, August 2018 - Deadline 21
May 2018
<http://www.codata.org/news/242/62/Applications-Invited-to-Participate-in-the-CODATA-RDA-Research-Data-Science-Summer-School-and-Advanced-Workshops-Trieste-Italy-2018-Deadline-21-May-2018>

Find out what’s happening! Sign up to the CODATA International News
List
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA community-run data science training
and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

___________________________
Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: simon at codata.org | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype:
simonhodson99

Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5
rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE

> On 3 May 2018, at 20:34, Ina Smith <Ina at assaf.org.za> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> You are most welcome to see what a Research Data Management Tool
looks like, and to try it out, by participating in the pilot at
http://pilot.dmp.dirisa.ac.za/dmp_researcher_app/login/
<http://pta-smg3.csir.co.za:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYxMjdhMDA0YmI2NzAxMmI2OT01QUNEQzQyRl8zNDkwNl8xMDU3OF8xJiZhODBiMGY0NWNhYjliYzU9MTMzMyYmdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZwdGEtc21nNCUyRWNzaXIlMkVjbyUyRXphJTNBMzIyMjQlMkYlM0ZkbVZ5UFRFdU1EQXhKaVkzWm1RMVlqazBOMkl3WWpRNVl6bGhaajAxUVRsR1FUaEJNRjgwTVRVNE4xOHhOalUxTUY4eEppWXhNV1U0TWpJeE1USm1ZbVl4WVdJOU1UTXpNeVltZFhKc1BXaDBkSEFsTTBFbE1rWWxNa1p3YVd4dmRDVXlSV1J0Y0NVeVJXUnBjbWx6WVNVeVJXRmpKVEpGZW1FbE1rWmtiWEFsTlVaeVpYTmxZWEpqYUdWeUpUVkdZWEJ3SlRKR2JHOW5hVzRsTWtZJTNE>
It is very simple to use.

> This tool is open source, and any institution can download and
install it on an institutional server/in the cloud, customize and brand
it, for institutional research purposes. Download at
https://github.com/DMPRoadmap <https://github.com/DMPRoadmap>

> Kind regards
> Ina
>
> The NRF and DIRISA have designed a DMP Template, and we would like
researchers (from around Africa) to test it. The DMP template is aligned
to the NRF’s Open Access Mandate (2015) and data sharing principles.
<http://www.nrf.ac.za/media-room/news/statement-open-access-research-publications-national-research-foundation-nrf-funded>
Kindly distribute and share with your researchers.

NSHOZI at csir.co.za <mailto:NSHOZI at csir.co.za> and Lazarus Matizirofa
LMatizirofa at nrf.ac.za <mailto:LMatizirofa at nrf.ac.za>.

> Link to the NRF/DIRISA DMP Template:
http://pilot.dmp.dirisa.ac.za/dmp_researcher_app/login/
<http://pta-smg3.csir.co.za:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiYxMjdhMDA0YmI2NzAxMmI2OT01QUNEQzQyRl8zNDkwNl8xMDU3OF8xJiZhODBiMGY0NWNhYjliYzU9MTMzMyYmdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZwdGEtc21nNCUyRWNzaXIlMkVjbyUyRXphJTNBMzIyMjQlMkYlM0ZkbVZ5UFRFdU1EQXhKaVkzWm1RMVlqazBOMkl3WWpRNVl6bGhaajAxUVRsR1FUaEJNRjgwTVRVNE4xOHhOalUxTUY4eEppWXhNV1U0TWpJeE1USm1ZbVl4WVdJOU1UTXpNeVltZFhKc1BXaDBkSEFsTTBFbE1rWWxNa1p3YVd4dmRDVXlSV1J0Y0NVeVJXUnBjbWx6WVNVeVJXRmpKVEpGZW1FbE1rWmtiWEFsTlVaeVpYTmxZWEpqYUdWeUpUVkdZWEJ3SlRKR2JHOW5hVzRsTWtZJTNE>

> What is a data management plan?
>
> A data management plan, or DMP (sometimes also called a data sharing
plan), is a formal document that outlines what you will do with your
data during and after a research project. Most researchers collect data
with some form of plan in mind, but it's often inadequately documented
and incomplete. Many data management issues can be handled easily or
avoided entirely by planning ahead. With the right process and framework
it doesn't take too long and can pay off enormously in the long run.

> Many funding agencies, especially government funding sources, require
a DMP as part of their application processes. Even if you are not
seeking funding for your research, documenting a plan for your data is a
best practice and will help your data comply with funders and some
journal policies for responsible data management. If your DMP provides
for your data to be openly shared, the data necessary for external
replication of your research findings will be available to the research
community for the long term.

> What do I include in a DMP?
>
> Information contained in a data management plan describes your plan
for addressing many aspects of working with data. A DMP need not be
lengthy, but it will typically address many relevant aspects of your
data, including but not limited to:

>		  Types of data - What is the source of your data? In
what formats are your data? Will your data be fixed or will it change
over time? How much data will your project produce?

>		  Contextual details (metadata) - How will you document
and describe your data?

>		  Storage, backup and security - How and where will you
store and secure your data?

>		  Provisions for protection/privacy - What privacy and
confidentiality issues must you address?

>		  Policies for re-use - How may other researchers use
your data?

>		  Access and sharing - How will you provide access to
your data by other researchers? How will others discover your data?

>		  Archiving and providing access - What are your plans
for preserving the data and providing long-term access?

<mailto:lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za>

> http://www.nrf.ac.za/email-legal-notice.php
<http://www.nrf.ac.za/email-legal-notice.php>ASSAf Disclaimer: The
views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do
not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the company. Our
employees are obliged not to make any defamatory clauses, infringe, or
authorize infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the company will
not take any liability for such statements included in emails. In case
of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully
responsible for the content of their emails.

> --
send an email to
african-open-science-platform+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com

african-open-science-platform at googlegroups.com