[IRTalk] Collaborative partnership between COAR and DuraSpace

Lazarus Matizirofa lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za
Thu Jun 7 09:01:01 SAST 2018

From: coar-member [mailto:coar-member-bounces at sub.uni-goettingen.de] On Behalf Of Kathleen Shearer via coar-member
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:12 PM
To: members at coar-repositories.org; partners at coar-repositories.org
Subject: [coar-member] Collaborative partnership between COAR and DuraSpace

Dear COAR members and partners,

I’m happy to report that today COAR entered into a formal partnership with DuraSpace. Please see the official announcement below, and I will keep you informed about the concrete activities following from this partnership, especially in the area of repository training.

As always, if you have any question, please feel free to get in touch.

Best, Kathleen

-----------

COAR and DuraSpace are pleased to announce the launch of a collaborative partnership.

Both organizations believe in a strong role for innovative open technologies to promote long-lasting and open access to digital data and information. In addition, we are jointly committed to supporting the adoption of repository platforms that are interoperable, compliant with international standards and protocols, and reflect the vision of next generation repository.

By working together, DuraSpace and COAR will leverage their unique strengths and communities to pursue our common goals. In particular, the partnership will focus on building capacity in the repository community by delivering and participating in training events, with a special emphasis on developing countries; and promoting the value of open repositories with other communities internationally.

“At COAR, we are looking forward to working with the DuraSpace team to help enhance the skills of repository managers and support the adoption of the most up-to-date versions of repository platforms,” says Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director of COAR.

“We feel this collaboration will lead to practitioner empowerment and sustainability of the services built on the open repository platforms we steward. Working with Kathleen and the COAR community will help us tap into the incredible talent and enthusiasm in open source communities as well as help us deliver on our mission of supporting projects and advancing services to help ensure that current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage” says Erin Trip, Interim CEO of DuraSpace.

“Our organizations have worked toward this partnership for so long. I am very pleased and grateful for this collaboration as I return to the community as a practitioner in repositories,” says Debra Hanken Kurtz, outgoing CEO of DuraSpace.

--------

ABOUT DURASPACE
DuraSpace stewards two of the most widely adopted open source repositories, DSpace and Fedora, which manage research, scholarly, and other published content in a digital repository, focusing on long-term storage, access, and preservation. DuraSpace develops global, strategic collaborations to sustain DSpace and Fedora, and VIVO, a semantic web platform that enables research discovery to create an integrated record of the scholarly work of an organization. More than 2,000 institutions use and help develop open source software in partnership with DuraSpace.

ABOUT COAR
COAR is a membership organization with over 130 members and partners from 40 countries on all 5 continents. COAR’s vision is a global knowledge commons based on the distributed repository network, on which value added services can be built. COAR is platform agnostic and  is committed to working with all organizations that share common principles and shared goals.

[cid:imagec7137c.JPG at 1e463ade.4aa4323c]<http://>

Meiring Naude Road
Brummeria
PO Box 2600
Pretoria, 0001
South Africa
http://www.nrf.ac.za<http://www.nrf.ac.za/>

Lazarus Matizirofa
Team Leader: Digital Curation and Content Management Services
Information Technology & Knowledge Resources
Tel: +27 12 481 4016
Email: lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za

http://www.nrf.ac.za/email-legal-notice.php