[IRTalk] Theses and Institutional Repository

Bruce Becker BBecker at csir.co.za
Fri Apr 21 14:21:43 SAST 2017

Hi Tyson,

I'm not a librarian, but I bump into this kind of issue all the time,
and it mostly raises questions of uniqueness and discoverability
(others have commented on the IP aspects)

In principle there shouldn't be a problem with depositing the object
in more than one repository - as long as the DOI is the same, and the
metadata is clean.

I stand to be corrected on this, but for example the DataCite schema
allows you to deposit identical objects
https://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-3.1/example/datacite-example-relationTypeIsIdenticalTo-v3.0.xml
- this could be used...

The whole point of having DOIs is to ensure that objects are
persistently available even if they move or if  copies are destroyed,
so it would make sense to have them in more than one library. You need
to make sure that you are however describing a _copy_ of the object,
and not depositing a new object, so that OAI-PMH is not confused, etc.

Maybe have a look at https://data.datacite.org/ and https://schema.datacite.org/