[IRTalk] How can academia kick its addiction to the impact factor? – ScienceOpen Blog

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:43:53 SAST 2016

The impact factor is academia’s worst nightmare. So much has been written
about its flaws, both in calculation and application, that there is little
point in reiterating the same tired points here (see here by Stephen
Curry for a good starting point).

Recently, I was engaged in a conversation on Twitter (story of my life..),
with the nice folks over at the Scholarly Kitchen and a few researchers.
There was a lot of finger pointing, with the blame for impact factor abuse
being aimed at researchers, at publishers, funders, Thomson Reuters, and
basically any player in the whole scholarly communication environment.

http://blog.scienceopen.com/2016/04/how-can-academia-kick-its-addiction-to-the-impact-factor/