[IRTalk] SUNScholar/Ranking - Libopedia - July 2016

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Thu Jul 28 13:42:23 SAST 2016

Wow – apologies Leti! ☺

Kind regards
Ina

From: Leti Kleyn [mailto:Leti.Kleyn at up.ac.za]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:37 PM
To: Ina Smith <Ina at assaf.org.za>; Lazarus Matizirofa <lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za>; Wynand Van Der Walt <W.VanDerWalt at ru.ac.za>
Cc: irtalk at lists.lib.sun.ac.za
Subject: Re: [IRTalk] SUNScholar/Ranking - Libopedia - July 2016

I think sustainable support for research visibility should be our number one priority. If we do not risk (at times) improving our services, products and platforms we are not going forward. At UP we developed a php front page so that we did not have to go into serious skinning of DSpace at high cost, that "improvement" costed us our first place this round, and we will now look into alternative measures. UJ might experience the go-over of re-indexing and re-routing now, but might come out tops in the following rankings ... we should be open to experiment without too much fear of Webometrics.

Ina, just one correction to your figures. UPSpace was ranked 73 in 2015 and the old ETD system at its peak ranked in 62nd position in 2013.

Kindest
L.

Dr Leti Kleyn
Manager: Open Scholarship & Digitisation Programmes
Department of Library Services
Merensky Library Room 2.24.2
University of Pretoria
• leti.kleyn at up.ac.za<mailto:leti.kleyn at up.ac.za> • 012 420 3876
>>> Lazarus Matizirofa <lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za<mailto:lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za>> 2016/07/28 01:02 PM >>>
Lets take it if item handles were not changed, the repository position would have not been so affected by the new domain name. If new handles were assigned then the current ranking position is understandable. My problem for the changes will be if new handles were assigned how do you resolve item links on staff webpages, citations, etc.

Lazarus

Sent from Samsung tablet