[Irtalk] The Great Curve II: Citation distributions and reverse engineering the JIF | quantixed

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 13:38:14 SAST 2016

Trying to understand what data goes into the Journal Impact Factor
calculation (for some, but not all journals) is very difficult. This makes
JIFs very hard to reproduce. As a general rule in science, we don’t trust
things that can’t be reproduced, so why has the JIF persisted.* I think
most people realise by now that using this single number to draw
conclusions about the excellence (or not) of a paper because it was
published in a certain journal, is madness.*

https://quantixed.wordpress.com/2016/01/05/the-great-curve-ii-citation-distributions-and-reverse-engineering-the-jif/