[Irtalk] Honours projects at UCT Computer Science for 2016

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Thu Feb 18 00:44:23 SAST 2016

Dear Colleagues and Students

It is that time of the year again where we specify Honours projects for
Computer Science students ... and I write to see if anyone wants to
collaborate this year.

If you have a suitably-sized research problem related to information
retrieval, ICT for development (especially educational technology) or
digital libraries (or some other area that I am interested in) that
might benefit from 2-4 students (typically very competent programmers)
working on it for 3-4 months, please contact me by email within the next
few days (i.e., by Monday 22 Feb) to talk about it.

Basically, we do all the work - all you specify is the problem and
possibly steer the students if necessary. Right now all we need is a
short (1-2 paragraph?) description of the project. The students then
select their projects off a very long list and, if a particular project
gets selected, we start work in earnest (otherwise we try again next
year or some such thing).

As with all student projects, the goal is a good prototype.  These
rarely become production systems without substantial additional work or
professional development, but they serve to test ideas and prove
feasibility in a fairly rigorous manner.  Our students often start work
immediately after they are done, so this year I want to work out a
transition plan for successful projects before we start.

Many projects from previous years have been published, often
internationally, for example:
* 2014 isiZulu Search Engine - IR for a marginalized language @ICADL2015
* 2011 low-bandwidth video conferencing @SAICSIT2012
* 2011 Bonolo (generic file-based DL) @ICADL2012
* 2010 Copying Archives (evaluation of LOCKSS openness, project
suggested by SUN) @TPDL2011
* 2009 Bushman Online Dictionary (visual dictionary, project for UCT
Fine Arts) @ICADL2010
* 2009 CALJAX (AJAX-based repository) @SAICSIT2010
* 2008 Wordbank (Web-based language preservation) @ZAWWW2009

As always, I prefer to work with external collaborators. I can also
steer a conversation with other members of our staff if there is a more
appropriate supervisor e.g., in areas related to graphics, AI,
databases, etc. and this has worked successfully many times in the past.

For some ideas on the breadth and depth of our past projects, visit the
Honours Project Archive linked off http://pubs.cs.uct.ac.za/

If you have any questions, feel free to shout.

Regards,
----hussein