[IRTalk] FW: Academic Libraries and Open Science

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Tue Dec 6 11:06:42 SAST 2016

This a great conference! Join now ☺

Dr Ralph Schimmer: “Max Planck Society (Germany) can afford subscribing to Elsevier, but they don’t want to. They serve a higher purpose. We need to liberate money for a change where researchers actively go and publish. The reward system need to change. Money will follow the researcher. Money should not be locked down. Once the subscription system falls, the monopoly of TR will within 3 years. Will allow for new systems to come forward. Key obstacle is subscription system which locks down money so that it cannot be used elsewhere.”

We also need African institutions to stop investing money in the subscription system.