[Irtalk] Fwd: [IFLA-L] IFLA emphasizes the role of access to information in intervention at the UN

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:27:04 SAST 2015

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
Stellenbosch University Library
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julia Brungs <Julia.Brungs at ifla.org>
Date: 26 June 2015 at 14:59
Subject: [IFLA-L] IFLA emphasizes the role of access to information in
intervention at the UN
To: "ifla-l at infoserv.inist.fr" <ifla-l at infoserv.inist.fr>, "
lyondcl at infoserv.inist.fr" <lyondcl at infoserv.inist.fr>

 Dear all,

IFLA President-Elect, Donna Scheeder participated in the most recent
intergovernmental negotiations on the post-2015 development agenda at the
United Nations (UN) in New York from 23-25 June 2015. The recently
released zero-draft
to adopt the post-2015 agenda
<https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/7261Post-2015%20Summit%20-%202%20June%202015.pdf>
was
discussed, with Member States, Major Groups and representatives from civil
society given the opportunity to make specific suggestions on language to
be included in the document.

During the meeting, IFLA made an intervention on the importance of access
to information, stressing its role in facilitating a transparent and
transformational development agenda.

IFLA's full response to the zero-draft
<http://www.ifla.org/node/9638?og=7409> includes suggested language on
access to information, ICT, culture and facilitation of a knowledge and
technology platform.

*Full text of the IFLA intervention:*

*I am Donna Scheeder, President-elect of the International Federation of
Library Associations and Institutions, the global voice of libraries.*

*I applaud Switzerland’s recommendation regarding country reviews and the
need to have them submitted to a common place for public review.*

*The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
(IFLA) welcomes the Zero Draft and the continuing presence of access to
information in the draft. There can be no transparency, accountability or
participation without access to information.  IFLA encourages the United
Nations to further recognize and emphasize the role of access to
information and skill to use it as an essential pillar in the
transformational agenda for sustainable development.*

*Access to information is a common principle, as well as a cross-cutting
means of supporting the agenda's vision. It is so important that we feel a
stronger statement could be made in paragraph 15. We propose that the
following language be added: [Increased access to information and
knowledge, underpinned by universal literacy, is an essential pillar of
sustainable development] [We recognize access to information as a key
condition for citizen participation, transparency and accountability]*

*Thank you for your consideration.*

*What's IFLA been doing*

IFLA has been continuously engaging in the UN process on the post2015
development agenda and has been bringing the voice of our members as well
as of the signatories to the Lyon Declaration
<http://www.lyondeclaration.org/signatories/> to the UN.

Currently, we at IFLA are encouraging our members to engage in theirnational
development plans <http://www.ifla.org/node/9615?og=7409> to ensure access
to information and libraries are recognised as vital partners.

Please see the webversion for the full video of the intervention
<http://www.ifla.org/node/9653>.

Julia Brungs

Policy and Projects Officer

International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)

P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague
Netherlands

Phone: 0031703140884