[Irtalk] Fwd: [SCHOLCOMM] Re: Communicating with faculty - your best practices

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 23:28:03 SAST 2015

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
Stellenbosch University Library
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vandegrift, Micah <mvandegrift at fsu.edu>
Date: 2 June 2015 at 22:35
Subject: [SCHOLCOMM] Re: Communicating with faculty - your best practices
To: Nora Allred <nsallred at mtu.edu>, "scholcomm at lists.ala.org" <
scholcomm at lists.ala.org>

 Hi Nora,

 We’ve tried everything back and forth. Haven’t yet found a particularly
“effective” way to connect with faculty. Probably the closest we’ve come is
that last year I was invited to speak (10 mins) at new faculty orientation.
So the 100 or so folks in the room start on the ground with knowledge that
our library is involved with and offers support for open access and data
management. Those 100 have been the best contacts I’ve made in 3 years.

 We also have worked very hard to establish a relationship with our Office
of Research. For better or worse, faculty tend to listen to them more then
us. That angle has worked when trying to push info out like the public
access mandates from funding agencies. We’ve gotten items in the Office of
Research newsletter, which I know is paid some attention.

 Keep trying new and different things!

 Others? How are you creatively reaching out?

 Micah V.