[Irtalk] Open Access & LIASA

Ina Smith inacsmith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 21:44:05 SAST 2014

Dear Colleagues

Open Access is high on LIASA’s agenda for this coming year. This e-mail
just to share a few observations/comments ….

1.  1. Please join LIASA, and become a member of LIASA HELIG. We need you
all, especially in taking OA forward.  Librarians are instrumental in this.

2.  2. LIASA is in the process of collaborating with SPARC to also
establish a SPARC Africa Chapter. We need your support, and will keep all
posted.

3.  3. As LIASA members, we will be offering you exciting webinars on
topics of high importance. We will be giving local and international
experts the opportunity to share their expertise during this coming year.

4.  4. We will soon be sharing more news on the OA Standing Committee for
LIASA. Watch this space!

5.  5. It was a privilege to be co-presenter with Lazarus Matizirofa during
the past conference. View the slides from here:
http://www.slideshare.net/inaviljoensmith/open-access-be-seen-be-read-be-cited-have-impact

6. More practical, useful examples of the impact of OA – shared during the
LIASA conference:

Jack Andraka (16) invented a diagnostic test for pancreatic cancer using OA
articles http://chronicle.com/article/Open-Access-to-Research-Can/136065

Daniel Mietchen:
http://www.openhealthnews.com/news-clipping/2013-10-01/asap-awards-%E2%80%93-interview-daniel-mietchen

Opening Tesla patents to advance innovation:
http://www.dailytech.com/Elon+Musk+Freely+Offers+All+Tesla+Motors+Patents+to+Everyone+Hopes+to+Spur+EV+Movement/article36047.htm

6.   7.   If a resource is open access for an academic library, it means it
is also open for public and school libraries. Please work with public and
school libraries and help them to take OA forward, so that all can benefit.

See LIASA OA Workshop presentation for public, school, academic libraries
etc. - introduction:
http://www.slideshare.net/inaviljoensmith/open-access-oa-introduction

Many thanks for the great work you all do in terms of OA! All the best with
your OA week activities, and all the best with taking OA forward with
renewed effort, energy and enthusiasm.

Would be great to hear all the success stories at some stage!

With kind regards

Ina (on behalf of LIASA HELIG)