[Irtalk] UWC's OA Mandate

Allison Fullard afullard at uwc.ac.za
Wed Nov 19 09:14:49 SAST 2014

Hi Denise
Thanks for your comment and queries.

The policy document refers to "author final version" which we
understand is the equivalent of the author postprint.  In presenting the
policy at Senate, the DVC specified this.  Since the draft policy did go
to the faculties for discussion two or three times, I think there is
general clarity about this.  On hindsight, I agree that this term might
have been usefully included in the definitions section at point 3 to
avoid any potential ambiguity.
Likewise, point 4c in the Legal Addendum refers to "an author version".
 I do see that this doesn't specify closely enough to publishers
precisely WHICH version this is.  I don't think we were intentionally
meaning to be vague.  This fogginess might actually work in our
favour..... It's likely that these issues will be resolved "in the
wash"!

With regard to the embargo clause, the policy and addendum make clear
that the default is that all items will be deposited at time of
acceptance.  The onus is on publishers to make written request for an
embargo of maximum 12 months.

Like I said: the proof is in the pudding.  I'll certainly approach this
group for advice on thorny issues as they arise!  Not least the Elsevier
specification that prevents authors from depositing where there are
mandates in place.  How do other institutions deal with this one?

Regards
Allison

>>> Denise Nicholson <Denise.Nicholson at wits.ac.za> 2014/11/19 08:48 AM

Hi Allison,
Well done – good news.
Just two queries:  The policy requires researchers to deposit their
FINAL version into the Repository.  How have you got around the
publishers’ policies where they only allow a postprint version?
Why was the 12 month embargo period adopted?

Thanks
Denise