[Irtalk] Non-Commercial (NC) clause of the Creative Commons (CC) is a killer

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:34:17 SAST 2014

What some of us already interpreted is that the Non-Commercial (NC) clause
of the Creative Commons (CC) is a killer. German court has ruled that the
NC clause means that the material is only for personal use. And that is
literally breaking news! It means that such material is not Open Access in
the context of (European) universities. I learned from Lessig's Free
Culture (a must read) that academic use falls under fair use under USA law.
but as far as I know this is not the case in Europe. It effectively means
that all journals using a CC license with the NC clause now officially do
not fall under most Open Access directives (AFAICS but IANAL).

http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/breaking-news-cc-nc-only-for-personal.html