[Irtalk] Open and Shut?: Alexander Grossmann on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done?

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:17:01 SAST 2014

Readers must reach their own conclusions, but what struck me in what
Grossmann has to say in the Q&A that follows is that, *whatever their
wishes and intentions, legacy publishers seem to be prisoners of their past*
— imprisoned by the business model of academic publishing they have
inherited, imprisoned by their shareholders (where they work in a public
company), *but above all imprisoned by their need to maintain the high
profit levels to which scholarly publishers have become accustomed. It is
the latter that publishers believe OA now threatens and which they so fear.*
​
​

http://poynder.blogspot.de/2013/08/alexander-grossmann-on-state-of-open.html