[Irtalk] SA Copyright Office Database?

Michelle Willmers michelle.willmers at uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 8 11:22:48 SAST 2014

Hello Ina

I checked on this with the IP Law Unit at UCT and received the following response…

Dear Michelle:

As far as I know there is no copyright registry in South Africa because there is no registration requirement for obtaining copyright protection. This said, I believe there is a registry for cinematograph films. It may be worth double-checking with CIPC (http://www.cipc.co.za<http://www.cipc.co.za/>) though. A possible way forward could be to also get in touch with the relevant collecting society (eg, DALRO for literary works) as the creator may have an agreement with them.

I hope this helps,

Tobias
--
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter, LL.M.