[Irtalk] Seeking for PhD Sholarship in ETDs

Aristarik Maro aristarik at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:56:10 SAST 2012

Dear colleagues,
Am interested in doing my PhD in ETDs for enhancement of research in east
african universities.
Kindly any one with information for scholarship.
I have submitted my proposal to ASIAN PASIFIC UNIVERSITY  awaiting to hear
frm them.

Will appreciate if am hooked up or provided with any. ...

Rgrds,
Aristarik Maro

On Monday, May 28, 2012, Elsabe Olivier <Elsabe.Olivier at up.ac.za> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
> Please help us to find and recognize outstanding talent and innovation in
the area of ETDs and open access. This is your last opportunity to send
your nomination for the 2012 NDLTD Electronic Thesis and Dissertation
Innovation and Leadership Awards. Sorry we don't "have an App for that"
yet, but as you can see below, nominating someone is very easy thing to do!
> 1) For one or all of the award categories, identify:
>
> a novel multimedia ETD in your IR
>
> an exceptional story about how a student's ETD changed their life
>
> a dedicated ETD / open access leader / champion in your school
>
> 2) Write a brief nomination letter providing basic information about the
person being nominated, about the ETD (if applicable) and justification for
the nomination.
> 3) Provide a brief reference letter from the student, student's committee
chairperson or other professional mentors. If available,
local/regional/national news articles and posts, etc. are also helpful to
support the nomination.
> 4) Send this information to the ETD Awards Committee no later than May
31, 2012
> For complete information, please see the details provided below or
available online.
> Many thanks,
> - John
>
> Last Call for Nominations - NDLTD ETD Awards 2012
>
> NDLTD ETD INNOVATION & LEADERSHIP AWARDS
>
> The Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)
consortium is pleased to announce the 2012 ETD Awards program. We invite
all NDLTD members to nominate individuals they believe deserve the
recognition!

> The awards include several categories of appreciation.
>
> The Innovative ETD Award recognizes student efforts to transform the
genre of the print dissertation through the use of innovative software to
create multimedia ETDs.
> The Innovative Learning through ETDs Award recognizes a student whose
professional life has been enhanced by the ETD process.
> The ETD Leadership Award recognizes members of the university community
whose leadership and vision have helped raise awareness of the benefits of
ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate education and research
through the use of ETDs.

> The awards will be presented at the ETD 2012 Symposium, to be held
September 12 - 14, 2012 at the Delfines Hotel, Lima, Peru.

> Eligibility, Nomination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
>
> Nominations will be reviewed by the NDLTD Awards Committee. Current
members of the NDLTD Awards Committee are not eligible for nomination.
> Winners are encouraged, but not required to attend the ETD Symposium.
>
> Travel scholarship funding of up to $500 will be provided to award
winners to attend the ETD Symposium. Scholarship funds will be provided on
a reimbursement basis only.
> We request that winners who cannot attend the Symposium record a video
acceptance message (approximately 2 - 3 minutes) that can be presented at
the Symposium Awards ceremony and distributed online, or provide an
acceptance message in writing (500 words or less).

> Nomination letters should include:
>
> A brief description (1,000 words or less) of background information,
details of the merits of the work and justification for nomination.
> Additional letters of support from faculty, administrators, students,
Library or Graduate School Dean, Provost, and others.
> Complete contact information for both the nominator and nominee,
including home and/or University postal and email addresses.

> Examples of previous award winners, links to multimedia ETDs and
acceptance speech videos are available online at
http://www.ndltd.org/events_and_awards/awards/etd-awards.

> Also see the recent news article.
>
> Nominations must be sent by email to ETD Awards Committee Co-chair John
Hagen (Renaissance Scholarly Communications) at
John.Hagen at Renaissance-Scholar.com.
> Deadline for Nominations Extended: May 31, 2012
>
> Specific Awards Category Information and Requirements
>
> Innovative ETD Award
>
> ETDs submitted for this award must represent student efforts to transform
the genre of the print dissertation through the use of ETDs. This award
recognizes innovative use of software to create "cutting edge" ETDs. The
application and integration of renderings, photos, data sets, software code
and other multimedia objects that are included in the document will be
considered as part of the innovation of the work.

> An ETD can be nominated by an administrator, faculty member, librarian or
student. The nominator and the nominee's University should be affiliated
with the NDLTD.
> Each NDLTD member may submit up to 2 nominees; self-nominations are not
included in the institutional count.
> The nomination for these awards should include links to the archived
work, along with a brief statement about how the work uses technology to
enhance the presentation of research.
> ETD nominations may be in PDF and/or open (non-PDF) formats. Submissions
of PDF formats should include hyper-linking and/or the source URL to any
included supplementary multimedia material.
> The ETD must be distributed online as open access.
> Preference will be given to ETDs approved for graduation during the 2011
calendar year (January through December 2011), although nominations from
previous years will also be considered.
> There may be up to three winners.
> Each winner will receive $500 and will be eligible to receive an
additional $500 in travel scholarship funding to attend the ETD Symposium.*

> Innovative Learning through ETDs Award
>
> A student whose professional life has been enhanced by the ETD process
(not to include the value of the degree earned) will be recognized.

> Self-nomination is appropriate for this award.
> The nomination for this award should include a short essay (1,000 words
or less) describing the student's ETD experience and how it improved or
changed their graduate experience and their professional life.
> The ETD may still be in-process or already completed at the time of
nomination.
> There is no time limit on when the ETD may have been completed.
> There may be up to two winners.
> Each winner will receive $500 and will be eligible to receive an
additional $500 in travel scholarship funding to attend the ETD Symposium.*

> ETD Leadership Award
>
> This is open to individuals whose leadership and vision has helped raise
awareness of the benefits of ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate
education through the use of ETDs. Letters of nomination should include
details about the individual's ETD related activities and how the nominee's
leadership has made significant advances in the area of ETDs at the local,
regional, national or international levels.

> Nominations should be submitted by the nominee's supervisor or related
University administrator.
> The nominee or nominee's institution must be affiliated as an NDLTD
member.
> There may be up to two winners.
> Each winner will receive international honorary recognition.
>
> *I.R.S regulations require the NDLTD to report all award amounts
distributed; citizens of the United States must provide a valid Social
Security number to receive award distributions. Winners must agree to the
conditions set forth in the eligibility requirements listed here and NDLTD
policy. Winners must also agree to make acceptance / acknowledgments
materials available to the NDLTD for the purpose of international
promotions.

> ETD 2012 Symposium – "Integrating cultures for the creation and exchange
of knowledge - providing opportunities for the future"

</mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=1379258b78641673&attid=0.0.1.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1>
Click for a printable PDF version of this call for nominations.

> NDLTD ETD Awards Committee Co-Chairs: John H. Hagen and Elsabé Olivier.
>
> --

</mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=1379258b78641673&attid=0.0.1.2&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1>