[Irtalk] honours projects at UCT for 2012

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 20 18:40:46 SAST 2012

hi folks

it is that time of year ... i am about to start the process of writing
up descriptions for computer science honours projects at UCT for 2012,
and (as always) wonder if anyone is interested in collaborative projects...

if you have a suitably-sized research problem related to digital
libraries (or some other area that i am interested in) that might
benefit from 2-3 students (typically very competent programmers) working
on it for 3-4 months, please contact me by email before the end of
february to talk about it.

basically, we do all the work - all you specify is the problem and
possibly steer the students if necessary. right now all we need is short
(500 words? which i write anyway) descriptions of the projects. the
students then select their projects off a very long list and if a
particular project gets selected then we start work in earnest
(otherwise we try again next year or some such thing).

some projects from previous years have been published, many
internationally, for example:
* 2010 Copying Archive (evaluation of LOCKSS openness, project suggested
by SUN) @TPDL2011
* 2009 Bushman Online Dictionary (visual dictionary, project for UCT
Fine Arts) @ICADL2010
* 2009 CALJAX (AJAX-based repository) @SAICSIT2010
* 2008 Wordbank (Web-based language preservation) @ZAWWW2009

it seems i can only specify 3 projects - i can often put together 3
projects internally, but would prefer to work with others. i can also
steer a conversation with other members of our staff if there is a more
appropriate supervisor e.g., in areas related to graphics, AI,
databases, etc. and this has worked successfully many times in the past.

for some ideas on the breadth and depth of our past projects, visit the
honours project archive linked off http://pubs.cs.uct.ac.za/ ... or have
a look at the honours projects specifically related to digital libraries
off http://dl.cs.uct.ac.za/students ...

if you have any questions, feel free to shout

ttfn,
----hussein