[Irtalk] Digitization discussion group: digitsa at kendy.up.ac.za

Ria Groenewald Ria.Groenewald at up.ac.za
Tue Nov 22 15:35:03 SAST 2011

***Apologies for cross postings/Please distribute widely***

We are planning to start a discussion group with the core function
digitization.  The discussion will eventually be through this listserve
(digitsa at kendy.up.ac.za) and then posted to the Heritage Foundations Blog.
Some of the discussions might focus on, but not necessary be limited to -

1.  How to choose a project
2.  Selection criteria
3.  Handling of physical material
4.  Digital imaging/resolution and bit depth/colour management and scanning
processes
5.  Software needed to get the best from you scanned project without
wasting too much time
6.  Description metadata and the management of a spreadsheet for
statistical purposes
7.  Risk management and the sustaining of your project
8.  Possible funding
9.  All aspects of digitisation and digital preservation that you want to
touch on

We also want to create a list of everything digitized in South Africa,
those that are completed as well as those that we are currently busy
working on.  Please help us to get a comprehensive list available online of
the digital as well as physical holdings of heritage value in South
Africa.

The Heritage Foundation has a webpage and blog (www.esdigit.org.za) where
these information can be posted, just sign in and then you are part of the
blog.  If possible make the collection you have completed openly accessible
and thereby also support the "open access to information" movement.  By
combining your collection online with those of another institution
(building a link between the collections), you will contribute to a more
comprehensive collection online. I will send through more information about
this initiative in my next email.

Please feel free to make use of the discussion blog (www.esdigit.org.za ).
I will also post discussions from the listserve, which will be of interest
to the heritage group, to the blog (www.esdigit.org.za ) and thereby give
South African digitization as much exposure as possible.

Enlist to the discussion listserve by answering YES in the subject field of
this email and introduce yourself by telling us a bit more about yourself
and your work in the text field of the email.  We really want to create a
community of interest that will work and be of help to each other.

Regards
Ria Groenewald

Ria Groenewald
Digitization Coordinator
Department of Library Services
University of Pretoria
Tel +(12) 420-3792
ria.groenewald at up.ac.za

Digitization transforms the words of the past in the pictures of today

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer for full details.
 Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.  Volledige besonderhede is by http://www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer beskikbaar.