[Duraspace] The open access advantage considering citation, article usage and social media attention - Online First - Springer

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:26:23 SAST 2015

In this study, we compare the difference in the impact between open access
(OA) and non-open access (non-OA) articles. 1761 Nature Communications
articles published from 1 January 2012 to 31 August 2013 are selected as
our research objects, including 587 OA articles and 1174 non-OA articles.
Citation data and daily updated article-level metrics data are harvested
directly from the platform of nature.com. Data is analyzed from the static
versus temporal-dynamic perspectives. The OA citation advantage is
confirmed, and the OA advantage is also applicable when extending the
comparing from citation to article views and social media attention. *More
important, we find that OA papers not only have the great advantage of
total downloads, but also have the feature of keeping sustained and steady
downloads for a long time. For article downloads, non-OA papers only have a
short period of attention, when the advantage of OA papers exists for a
much longer time.*

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11192-015-1547-0