[Duraspace] Install Dspace Server Setup - BIB ITD

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:05:08 SAST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 17:58 +0200, Sherwyn Mack wrote:
> Thanks hg
>
> Your purge definitely worked, but I'm still unable to install. Am I the only one having trouble with postgresql?
No. You have stumbled upon a possible bug.
Debian/Ubuntu developers have very strict guidelines not to destroy user
data. So instead they are instructed to copy files before overwriting
them.

However your "purge" caused an unusual situation.
Postgresql was marked as previously installed by the aptitude database
and the re-install therefore triggered the need to make a copy of the
previous config that is not there. Obviously the "purge" did not update
the database as it should. This is my assumption.

So to hack it, do the following:
sudo -u postgres touch /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/postgresql.conf
This is assuming the postgres user exists.

Then run the cluster command again.

In general the Debian/Ubuntu developers are VERY WARY of destroying
valuable user data in databases !!!

Cheers

hg.