[IRTalk] OASPA Announces Checklist for Publishers on Implementing the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science

Bernie Folan bernie.folan at oaspa.org
Thu Jan 12 20:03:21 SAST 2023

We hope you might be interested in this information.

Best wishes,

Bernie Folan

---

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

OASPA Announces Launch of Publication

Checklist for Publishers on Implementing the UNESCO Recommendation on Open
Science

DATE  12 JANUARY 2023, [5.00 pm GMT]

We are delighted to announce the publication by UNESCO of the Checklist for
open access publishers on implementing the UNESCO Recommendation on Open
Science
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000383327/PDF/383327eng.pdf.multi>.
This is a jointly developed final document by OASPA and UNESCO. The
Guidelines form part of the UNESCO Open Science Toolkit
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000383327/PDF/383327eng.pdf.multi>.
This
is a valuable and practical new resource for OA publishers.

The Guidelines were initiated by Iryna Kuchma (EIFL) and Claire Redhead (OASPA)
who also spearheaded and guided this work to completion. During 2022, OASPA
held a webinar
<https://oaspa.org/webinar-policy-into-action-the-unesco-recommendation-on-open-science-under-the-spotlight-actions-for-publishing/>
to announce the development of the guidelines. The webinar focused on the
practical actions open access editors and publishers could take to
implement the UNESCO recommendation
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000379949.locale=en>. Practical
guidelines were discussed and co-developed together during and after the
webinar.

We would like to thank UNESCO as well as all of those who took part in the
webinar and particularly the many in the community who input directly into
the working document. We now have a highly practical and clear set of
guidelines
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000383327/PDF/383327eng.pdf.multi>
for publishers to refer to.

It was great to see the community interest in the draft guidelines when we
released them initially and it provided useful input that helped us to
finalise them, says Claire Redhead, Executive Director of OASPA.

Having the support of UNESCO has been fantastic, both in our initial
conversation with open access publishers and now to host the guidelines as
part of their toolkit. It's really exciting to see these guidelines
released and I hope they benefit open access publishers on their journey to
implementing the recommendations in their publishing practices. Huge thanks
to EIFL's Iryna Kuchma for working with OASPA on these and making the
guidelines for open access publishers a really valuable and globally
relevant resource.

We would like to thank everyone who contributed to the Checklist, says Iryna
Kuchma, Open Access Programme Manager at EIFL

When 193 UNESCO Member States adopted the first international
standard-setting instrument on Open Science we started brainstorming on the
practical implementation steps for publishers. It was truly a community
effort and our work on the checklist provided a useful structure and
discussion points for our workshops with publishers in Africa and Europe.

###

*About OASPA *

OASPA is a diverse community of organisations engaged in open scholarship
with a mission to encourage and enable open access as the predominant model
of communication for scholarly outputs. Our membership includes scholar-led
and professional publishers of books and journals, across varied
geographies and disciplines, as well as infrastructure and other services.
We are a trusted convenor of the broad, global spectrum of open access
stakeholders and a proven venue for productive collaboration. In our work
we develop and disseminate solutions that advance open access and ensure a
diverse, vibrant, and healthy open access community.
*About the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science*

Open Science has the potential of making the scientific process more
transparent, inclusive and democratic.  It is increasingly recognized as a
critical accelerator for the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable
Development Goals and a true game changer in bridging the science,
technology and innovation gaps and fulfilling the human right to science.
In the fragmented scientific and policy environment, a global understanding
of the meaning, opportunities and challenges of open science is needed for
its fair and equitable operationalization at the individual, institutional,
national, regional and international levels.

The UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science
<https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000379949.locale=en> provides an
international framework for open science policy and practice that
recognizes disciplinary and regional differences in open science
perspectives. It takes into account academic freedom, gender-transformative
approaches and the specific challenges of scientists and other open science
actors in different countries and in particular in developing countries,
and contributes to reducing the digital, technological and knowledge
divides existing between and within countries.

Media contact

Bernie Folan, Communications, Engagement and Outreach Manager
Open Access Scholarly Publishing Association, OASPA
bernie.folan at oaspa.org
https://oaspa.org <http://www.oaspa.org>