[IRTalk] FW: Seminars @ DS at UP๐Ÿš€ - Timnit Gebru - 15 Oct 2021 - 3PM SAST

Leti Kleyn leti.kleyn at up.ac.za
Mon Oct 11 10:33:48 SAST 2021

*From:* Vukosi Marivate <vukosi.marivate at cs.up.ac.za>
*Sent:* Friday, October 8, 2021 8:20 AM
*To:* leti.kleyn at up.ac.za
*Subject:* Seminars @ DS at UP๐Ÿš€ - Timnit Gebru - 15 Oct 2021 - 3PM SAST

Seminars @ DS at UP๐Ÿš€ - 2021 Data Science for Society Seminar Series
#DS4SocietySeminar

Our fourth speaker for 2021 - 15 October 2021

   - *Topic: *On the dangers of stochastic parrots
   - *Speaker:* Timnit Gebru
   - *Sign Up:* RSVP
   <http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062902-docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1faipqlsdch9mklf5kfnzlfzpojorrxczns-6b3tujwv7sffbpse3e6w/viewform?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>
   - *Date:* 15 October 2021
   - *Time:* 3:00PM-5:00PM SAST

2 part interaction. Talk + Discussion hosted by Data Science for Society
Seminar Series and the Masakhane Community
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062906-www.masakhane.io/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>

*โ€‹Talk Abstract*

In this talk, I will expand on a couple of points in the Stochastic Parrots
paper, which was ostensibly the reason I got fired from Google.
Specifically, I plan to discuss some of the issues perpetuated by the
platforms  (e.g. social media companies) whose contents are used to train
large language models, in the countries that they don't consider to be
important. I discuss some issues with content moderation, and note the
proliferation of hate speech, misinformation, and other harmful material,
which in turn is used to train the next generation of large language
models. On the other hand, the lack of language technology for many
languages in the African continent, means that this hate speech cannot be
detected in an automated manner.

*Discussion Topic*
I end with a couple of discussion questions for the community on how we can
ensure that the technology we build is one that prioritizes the wellbeing
of our communities.

*Bio*
Timnit Gebru was fired by Google in December 2020 for raising issues of
discrimination in the workplace. Prior to that she was a co-lead of the
Ethical AI research team at Google. She received her PhD from Stanford
University, and did a postdoc at Microsoft Research, New York City in the
FATE (Fairness Accountability Transparency and Ethics in AI) group, where
she studied algorithmic bias and the ethical implications underlying
projects aiming to gain insights from data. Timnit also co-founded Black in
AI, a nonprofit that works to increase the presence, inclusion, visibility
and health of Black people in the field of AI. She is currently setting up
an independent AI research institute.

2021 Schedule

*Date*

*Time [SAST]*

*Speaker*

*Organisation*

*Title*

18/08/2021

09:00

Felipe Melo

ABSA Bank

Pattern Extraction in Marketing [Video + Material]
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062910-dsfsi.github.io/blog/seminar-felipe-melo/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>

03/09/2021

15:00

Ernest Mwebaze

Sunbird.ai
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062914-sunbird.ai/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>

Environmental urban noise prediction for Kampala city [Video + Material]
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062918-dsfsi.github.io/blog/seminar-enerst/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>

23/09/2021

09:00

Emily Muller

Imperial College London

Measuring the urban environment using street view imagery [Video + Material]
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062922-dsfsi.github.io/blog/emily-seminar/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>

15/10/2021

15:00

Timnit Gebru

On the dangers of stochastic parrots

05/11/2021

09:00

TBC

SITA/DCDT/DPSA

TBC

26/11/2021

15:00

Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed

University of Toronto

Addressing anti-Asian COVID-related stigma in online communities

The seminars are hosted by the Data Science for Social Impact Research Group
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062926-dsfsi.github.io/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>,
in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria
<http://mail01.tinyletterapp.com/datascience-up/seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast/20062930-cs.up.ac.za/?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b>
.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, feel free to contact
Thapelo Sindane sindane.thapelo at tuks.co.za

DS at UP ๐Ÿš€ <https://tinyletter.com/datascience-up> by Vukosi Marivate

Lynnwood Road Pretoria, Gauteng South Africa
Sent to leti.kleyn at up.ac.za โ€” Unsubscribe
<https://tinyletter.com/datascience-up/unsub?c=cabe7535-ac89-eb9b-d793-c8f624059c5b&m=seminars-ds-up-timnit-gebru-15-oct-2021-3pm-sast>

*Delivered by*
[image: TinyLetter] <http://www.tinyletter.com/>