[IRTalk] PDF Compression

Wynand Van Der Walt w.vanderwalt at ru.ac.za
Tue Jul 21 12:23:49 SAST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I would appreciate it if I could hear from the various institutions how
they deal with PDF compression for object intended for web rendering.

At Rhodes, we do not break PDFs into sections if the PDF is above a certain
size. I have been experimenting with different PDF optimizer/compression
tools, e.g.
Original filesize: 12 502 KB
Acrobat Optimizer reduces filesize to: 10 877 KB
ABBYY reduces filesize to: 4 691 KB
Ilovepdf <https://www.ilovepdf.com/>reduces filesize to: 2 5100 KB
pdf2go <https://www.pdf2go.com>reduces filesize to: 3 490 KB

1) Please indicate which PDF compression options are used at your
institution
2) What are the repercussions of specific choices of compression?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Wynand

<https://www.ru.ac.za/library>

Wynand Van Der Walt
Head Librarian: Technical Services
Rhodes University Library
t: +27 (0) 46 603 8281
Library, Artillery Road, Grahamstown, 6139
PO Box 94, Grahamstown, 6140, South Africa
www.ru.ac.za/library <https://www.ru.ac.za>