[IRTalk] National ETD Portal unavailable

Gallant Matizirofa lazarus.matizirofa at up.ac.za
Tue Aug 25 12:55:55 SAST 2020

Dear Colleagues

The issue of the SA NETD portal was discussed at CHELSA during the SANLIC
conference in 2019. We are still waiting to hear from CHELSA the way
forward. My proposal is that one of the universities can host the
SANETD server as part of CoP under CHELSA. As CHELSA affiliated Libraries
(IR Managers, IT Managers) together with Prof Hussein Suleman lets discuss
the way forward and revamp the NETD system. It is our clients who depend on
the NETD portal.  We need to think strategically about HEIs' repository
networking and harvesting particularly now that COVID19 is forcing us to
transition to online resources and services.

The NRF memorandum attached suggested it was no longer going to support the
NETD platform as its priorities were changing.

Thank you Prof Suleman for supporting the NETD with limited resources on
your hands.

Kind regards,

Lazarus Matizirofa
Deputy Director: Scholarly Communication, Digital Services & Systems

Tel:      +27 (0)12 420 2021, Fax: +27 (0)12 362 5182
<+27%2012%20362%205182>
Email:  lazarus.matizirofa at up.ac.za
Web:    www.up.ac.za

*Department of Library Services*