[IRTalk] Invitation to sign: Principles for a Contract for the Web

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Thu Oct 31 13:03:25 SAST 2019

Both individuals and organisations are invited to support this drive. See https://contractfortheweb.org/

This new initiative  from @timberners_lee  will officially launch next month.

The web was designed to bring people together and make knowledge freely available. Everyone has a role to play to ensure the web serves humanity. By committing to the following principles, governments, companies and citizens around the world can help protect the open web as a public good and a basic right for everyone.

Governments will
Ensure everyone can connect to the internet
So that anyone, no matter who they are or where they live, can participate actively online.
Keep all of the internet available, all of the time
So that no one is denied their right to full internet access.
Respect people's fundamental right to privacy
So everyone can use the internet freely, safely and without fear.
Companies will
Make the internet affordable and accessible to everyone
So that no one is excluded from using and shaping the web.
Respect consumers' privacy and personal data
So people are in control of their lives online.
Develop technologies that support the best in humanity and challenge the worst
So the web really is a public good that puts people first.
Citizens will
Be creators and collaborators on the web
So the web has rich and relevant content for everyone.
Build strong communities that respect civil discourse and human dignity
So that everyone feels safe and welcome online.
Fight for the web
So the web remains open and a global public resource for people everywhere, now and in the future.
We commit to uphold these principles and to engage in a deliberative process to build a full "Contract for the Web", which will set out the roles and responsibilities of governments, companies and citizens. The challenges facing the web today are daunting and affect us in all our lives, not just when we are online. But if we work together and each of us takes responsibility for our actions, we can protect a web that truly is for everyone.

Ina Smith
Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9710-3668

[assafoaweek]<http://assafjournalblog.org.za/2019/06/05/open-access-week-2019/>

Phone: +27 12 349 6600
Email: ina at assaf.org.za<mailto:ina at assaf.org.za>

[assafemail]

1st Floor Block A, The Woods, 41 De Havilland Crescent, Persequor Park
Meiring Naudé Road, Lynnwood 0020, Pretoria, South Africa.

PO Box 72135, Lynnwood Ridge 0040, Pretoria, South Africa.

Website: www.assaf.org.za<http://www.assaf.org.za/>

ASSAf Disclaimer: The views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the organisation. Our employees are obliged not to make any defamatory statements, infringe, or authorise infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the organisation will not accept any liability for such statements included in emails. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully responsible for the content of their emails.