[IRTalk] Announcement: Open Access Week 2019: Open for Whom? Equity in Open Knowledge

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Wed Jun 5 10:31:58 SAST 2019

Dear all

The 2019 Open Access Week Advisory Committee<https://assaf.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808&id=68f398e4b9&e=fc8313ca7e> is pleased to announce that the theme for the 2019 International Open Access Week, to be held October 21-27, is “Open for Whom? Equity in Open Knowledge”.
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808/images/c4bcaea2-54b0-420e-9e75-8562ff849d82.png]
As the transition to a system for sharing knowledge that is open by default accelerates, the question “open for whom?” is essential—both to consider and to act upon. Whose interests are being prioritized in the actions we take and in the platforms that we support? Whose voices are excluded? Are underrepresented groups included as full partners from the beginning? Are we supporting not only open access but also equitable participation in research communication? These questions will determine the extent to which emerging open systems for research will address inequities in the current system or replicate and reinforce them.

This year’s theme will build on the groundwork laid last year when discussions focused on “Designing Equitable Foundations for Open Knowledge.” The 2018 theme highlighted the importance of making a central commitment to equity as we transition toward new systems for sharing knowledge, and the past twelve months have only seen the pace of that transition increase. Because of this, the Open Access Week Advisory Committee decided it was important to focus on equity again in 2019—to deepen our conversations about being inclusive by design and to turn those conversations into action.
We find ourselves at a critical moment. The decisions we make now—individually and collectively—will fundamentally shape the future for many years to come. As open becomes the default, all stakeholders must be intentional about designing these new, open systems to ensure that they are inclusive, equitable, and truly serve the needs of a diverse global community. Asking ourselves and our partners “open for whom?” will help ensure that considerations of equity become and remain central in this period of transition.

Established by SPARC and partners in the student community in 2008, International Open Access Week is an opportunity to take action in making openness the default for research—to raise the visibility of scholarship, accelerate research, and turn breakthroughs into better lives. This year's Open Access Week will be held from October 21st through the 27th; however, those celebrating the week are encouraged to schedule local events whenever is most suitable during the year and to utilize themes that are most effective locally.

The global, distributed nature of Open Access Week will again play a particularly important role in this year’s theme. Strategies and structures for opening knowledge must be co-designed in and with the communities they serve—especially those that are often marginalized or excluded from these discussions altogether.

International Open Access Week is an important opportunity to catalyze new conversations, create connections across and between communities that can facilitate this co-design, and advance progress to build more equitable foundations for opening knowledge—discussion and action that must continue throughout the year, year in and year out. Diversity, equity, and inclusion must be prioritized year-round and integrated into the fabric of the open community, from how our infrastructure is built to how we organize community events.

For more information about International Open Access Week, please visit www.openaccessweek.org<https://assaf.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808&id=3256946c72&e=fc8313ca7e>. The official twitter hashtag for the week is #OAWeek, and we encourage those having discussions around this year’s theme in the leadup to the week to use the hashtag #OpenForWhom.

Translations of this announcement in other languages can be found at www.openaccessweek.org<https://assaf.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808&id=5acc98b50d&e=fc8313ca7e>. If you are interested in contributing a translation of this year's theme or the full announcement in another language, you can find instructions for doing so here<https://assaf.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808&id=5bb5a111bc&e=fc8313ca7e>.

Graphics for this year’s Open Access Week theme are available at http://www.openaccessweek.org/page/graphics<https://assaf.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c463f0b322e2dca8a1c34c808&id=68e2d152e7&e=fc8313ca7e>

###
About SPARC
SPARC®, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition, is a global coalition committed to making Open the default for research and education. SPARC empowers people to solve big problems and make new discoveries through the adoption of policies and practices that advance Open Access, Open Data, and Open Education. Learn more at sparcopen.org.

About International Open Access Week
International Open Access Week is a global, community-driven week of action to open up access to research. The event is celebrated by individuals, institutions and organizations across the world, and its organization is led by a global advisory committee. The official hashtag of Open Access Week is #OAweek.

ASSAf Disclaimer: The views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the organisation. Our employees are obliged not to make any defamatory statements, infringe, or authorise infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the organisation will not accept any liability for such statements included in emails. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully responsible for the content of their emails.