[IRTalk] MediArXiv open archive officially launches!

Dr Leti Kleyn Leti at assaf.org.za
Thu Apr 4 08:09:02 SAST 2019

From: Film-Philosophy <FILM-PHILOSOPHY at JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:FILM-PHILOSOPHY at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>> On Behalf Of Jefferson Pooley
Sent: Wednesday, 03 April 2019 16:32
To: FILM-PHILOSOPHY at JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:FILM-PHILOSOPHY at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] MediArXiv open archive officially launches!

We are thrilled to announce that MediArXiv—the free, nonprofit, scholar-led digital archive for media, film and communication studies—is officially launching this week. MediArXiv is an open platform, hosted by the Center for Open Science, for media, film, and communication scholars to upload working papers, pre-prints, accepted manuscripts (post-prints), and published manuscripts. The service accepts articles, books, and book chapters, and we plan to support multimedia submissions in the future:

https://mediarxiv.org

FAQs are available on our companion site:

https://mediarxiv.com/faqs/

MediArXiv joins the growing movement started by the math/physics/computer science-oriented http://arXiv.org over 25 years ago, as one of the first full-fledged “preprint” servers conceived for humanities and social science scholars. Our aim is to promote open scholarship across media, film, and communication studies around the world. In addition to accepting and moderating submissions, we plan to advocate for policy changes at the major media, film, & communication studies professional societies around the world—to push for open-access friendly policies, in particular, for the journals that these associations sponsor.

We are launching with a 17-member Steering Committee of scholars and open access advocates from around the world. The Committee includes members from five continents, every rank (including graduate students), and along gender and other lines of equity. We support submissions in English, Spanish, Chinese, French, Portugeuse, German, Dutch, Finnish, and Turkish:

https://mediarxiv.com

MediArXiv was initiated by the nonprofit Open Access in Media Studies:

https://oamediastudies.com/

As a free, nonprofit, community-led digital archive, MediArXiv is fully committed to the Fair Open Access principles:

https://www.fairopenaccess.org/

The Center for Open Science (our hosting partner) press release:

https://cos.io/about/news/center-open-science-mediarxiv-and-bodoarxiv-launch-branded-preprint-services/

Please consider submitting your manuscripts to MediArXiv, and thank you for your support.

The MediArXiv Steering Committee

* Jeff Pooley, Associate Professor of Media & Communication, Muhlenberg College (USA) [Coordinator]
* Jeroen Sondervan, open access expert & and co-founder of Open Access in Media Studies. Affiliated with Utrecht University (Netherlands) [Coordinator]
* Sarah-Mai Dang, Postdoctoral Researcher at the Institute of Media Studies, Philipps University Marburg (Germany)
* Lai-Tze Fan, Assistant Professor of Rhetoric and Digital Media, University of Waterloo (Canada)
* Catherine Grant, Professor of Digital Media and Screen Studies, Birkbeck, University of London (UK)
* Jonathan Gray, Lecturer in Critical Infrastructure Studies, King's College London (UK)
* Adelheid Heftberger, Head of Film Access, Bundesarchiv (German Federal Archive) (Germany)
* Leah Lievrouw, Professor of Information Studies, UCLA (USA)
* Nyasha Mboti, Associate Professor of Communication Studies, University of Johannesburg (South Africa)
* Gabriel Menotti, Associate Professor of Communications, Federal University of Espírito Santo (Brazil)
* Ricardo Cedeño Montaña, Associate Professor of Communications, Universidad de Antioquia (Colombia)
* Maria O'Brien, PhD Candidate, School of Communications, Dublin City University (Ireland)
* Kate O'Riordan, Professor of Digital Culture & Head of School of Media, Film and Music, University of Sussex (UK)
* Jussi Parikka, Professor of Technological Culture & Aesthetics, University of Southampton (UK)
* Xiang Ren, Senior Lecturer in Chinese Media and Culture, Western Sydney University (Australia)
* Cheryll Ruth Soriano, Associate Professor of Communication, De La Salle University (Philippines)
* Ece Vitrinel, Assistant Professor of Communication, Galatasaray University (Turkey)

twitter: @mediarxiv
email: mediarxiv at mediarxiv.com<mailto:mediarxiv at mediarxiv.com>
main site: mediarxiv.org
companion site: mediarxiv.com
github: github.com/orgs/MediArXiv/dashboard
rss: http://tiny.cc/zwzq4y

ASSAf Disclaimer: The views and opinions included in this email belong to their author and do not necessarily mirror the views and opinions of the organisation. Our employees are obliged not to make any defamatory statements, infringe, or authorise infringement of any legal right. Therefore, the organisation will not accept any liability for such statements included in emails. In case of any damages or other liabilities arising, employees are fully responsible for the content of their emails.