[IRTalk] Must we decolonise Open Access? Perspectives from Francophone Africa

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Tue Jan 2 14:07:23 SAST 2018

http://journalologik.uk/?p=149

"I recently watched the recording of the fantastic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion<https://youtu.be/-VAUQMEe7Og> session at OpenCon, and I was struck by the general theme of how ‘openness’ isn’t necessarily the force for equality that we perhaps think it is, and how issues of power, exploitation, and hierarchy means that it should be understood differently according to the context in which it is applied. In the session, Denisse Albornoz used the expression of ‘situated openness’ to describe how our Northern conception of openness should not be forced on anyone or any group – it needs to be understood first in individual contexts of historical injustices and post-colonial power structures."