[IRTalk] Data Repository

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Thu Apr 12 18:02:26 SAST 2018

DSPACE is format agnostic, meaning you can upload any file in any format. The software recognizes formats on the basis of file extension. In other words: out of the box there is not format verification.

At Princeton we maintain several data collections in our DataSpace<http://dataspace.princeton.edu/> instance. With the help of our librarians we devised a custom submission form tailored towards collecting metadata for data sets. In addition we have best practice recommendations, like: add a README file, stick to formats commonly used in your discipline. The library developed a Research Data Management Guide<http://libguides.princeton.edu/rdm> with a section on file formats and data organization. Mostly we rely on the researchers to make format judgements under the assumptions that it is in their own best interest to organize their data appropriately.  DSpace is not particularly well suited for big data sets. Our biggest file is 43GB, which is definitely pushing the limits of the software.

Another issue arises when researchers want to upload data and receive a permanent url so they can share it with publishers during the review process of a related article. Once the article is published they often want to add the articles url/doi to the metadata maintained in DSpace. This is a classic chicken and egg problem. Once DSpace creates a permanent url, it does not allow regular submitters to change anything about the submission. So either the researcher finalizes the submission after article publication or a DSpace administrator has to enhance the submission’s metadata with the article url later on.

I hope this helps,

Monika

—
Monika Mevenkamp
Digital Repository Infrastructure Developer
Princeton University
Phone: 609-258-4161
Skype: mo-meven