[IRTalk] BASE: Search Engine for peer-reviewed OA research output

Bruce Becker BBecker at csir.co.za
Tue Sep 5 17:07:58 SAST 2017

Hi all

Thanks Ina for this link, now I know BASE too :)

Not sure if this is interesting, but colleagues of mine in Catania did
something similar in CHAIN-REDS and on through Sci-GaIA with a semantic
search engine. They did the usual metadata extraction thing, but went a
step further to construct rdf triples from the metadata, which can be
searched with sparql. The nice  thing is that data repos are also included
in the metadata.

This wasn't really about getting open access to things, more about just
finding them and exploring relationships and other structure in the data.

I've also found the ScienceOpen catalogue very useful -
http://www.scienceopen.com

It probably has a similar corpus (~33M articles) that BASE does, because it
does the harvesting in a similar way. ScienceOpen has a really good overlay
to journals and repos. It's very useful to me so far in curating research
collections. I've got a few on research topics (e.g.
https://www.scienceopen.com/collection/data-infrastructures) and also
collections of my own projects. The one thing that is missing is ingestion
from data repositories - they require a CrossRef DOI for an object to be
valid. But I have motivated quite a bit for them to change that annd
hopefully they will soon.

Just my 2c :)
Thanks  !
Bruce