[IRTalk] OJS 3 in Ethiopia

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Sun Nov 12 13:22:47 SAST 2017

Apologies for cross-posting

Dear Colleagues

We were fortunate to attend the UbuntuNetConnect 2017 Conference 8-10 Nov. 2017 (got the cap & T-shirt!) as part of the African Open Science Platform. While in Ethiopia, the Ethiopian Academy of Sciences invited us (Susan & myself) to do some training for 28 journal editors. Such great work is being done by this Academy, under leadership of Prof Masresha Fetene, along with:

Meti Bekeli
Project Officer, Ethiopian Academy of Sciences
projectofficer2 at eas-et.org<mailto:projectofficer2 at eas-et.org>

Biniam Nigussie (MSc. Candidate, FOSS EXPERT, CCNA, KLSE)
IT Consultant, Ethiopian Academy of Sciences
biniamng at gmail.com<mailto:biniamng at gmail.com>

And what an experience it was to work with them! While working on OJS 3 and while encountering bug fixes, Biniam would quickly fix it while in the room and real-time! It is therefore a privilege to introduce them to you, and should you need expertise on OJS from a System Administrator side, Biliam is great to contact! I believe he is also available for presenting ICT workshops - OJS and DSpace, and can highly recommend him. We are looking very much forward to future collaborations with this Academy!! Re UbuntuNetConnect 2017: NRENs more and more are ready to also host SaaS, and slowly but surely more expertise in terms of Open Source Software is developing on our continent, because we have stunning people prepared to learn all these new things! We need more expertise and skills, and should reduce our dependency on 3rd parties, which might end up being costly and not sustainable for the long term. Therefore the need for universities, societies, academies to take ownership and manage their own in a responsible way.

The learning material presented during this 2-day training available at:

http://journals.assaf.org.za/blog/ojs-3-support/

We would love to learn more about your experiences in OJS 3. I know UFS is doing great and recently launched their service. Cornelle - would you like to share? And NWU also making progress re OJS 3 - Christa please also share. Well done colleagues!

Kind regards
Ina

Ina Smith
Project Manager: African Open Science Platform<http://africanopenscience.org.za/>
SciELO Planning Manager
Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)
DOAJ Ambassador, Southern Africa Region<https://blog.doaj.org/2016/09/07/the-doaj-ambassadors-biographies/>
LIASA Librarian of the Year 2016<https://loy2016blog.wordpress.com/>

[cid:image001.gif at 01D35BB7.F5745120]<http://orcid.org/>  http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9710-3668

Switchboard: +27 12 349 6600
Tel: +27 12 349 6641
Fax: +27 (0) 86 576 9512
Email: ina at assaf.org.za<mailto:ina at assaf.org.za>

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D35BB9.54236700]

1st Floor Block A, The Woods, 41 De Havilland Crescent, Persequor Park
Meiring Naudé Road, Lynnwood 0020, Pretoria, South Africa.

PO Box 72135, Lynnwood Ridge 0040, Pretoria, South Africa.

Website: www.assaf.org.za<http://www.assaf.org.za/>