[IRTalk] Predatory journals - A threat to academic credibility

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Mon May 22 12:00:55 SAST 2017

Hi Bruce

This such an important issue – I agree … Tax payers money going to these predators, and we should do all we can to stop this practice.

The Directory of Open Access Journals<https://doaj.org/> does great work in terms of evaluating OA journals, and only allows high quality OA journals to be listed in their directory. So we encourage all African and South African scholarly journals to apply for inclusion in DOAJ. Would be great if all editors, librarians on the continent can assist with growing this trusted list of OA journals. After all – created by the community, for the community, and we should all be watch dogs.

The list your refer to the Bealls List?

Would be great to hear what other colleagues on the two mailing lists think?

Kind regards
Ina