[IRTalk] Invitation to all SA & African institutions to Twitter Chat: Wednesday 22 February

Ina Smith Ina at assaf.org.za
Sun Feb 19 10:29:03 SAST 2017

OASPA to host Twitter Chat on Open Access Publishing in the Global South

On Wednesday 22nd February 2017, OASPA will host a live Twitter chat about open access publishing in the Global South with Xin Bi (Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University/DOAJ), Ina Smith (Academy of Science of South Africa), Abel Packer (SciELO), and Lars Bjørnshauge (DOAJ) from 1pm-2pm BST (5am PST, 8am EST, 10am BRT, 2pm CET, 2pm WAT, 3pm SAST, 6.30pm IST, 9pm CST, 10pm KST, 12am + 1 day AEDT).  View Time Zone Converter<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html>.

Please join us on Twitter for the hour by tweeting your questions about open access publishing in the Global South using the hashtag #OASPAChat, and Xin, Ina, Abel and Lars will be there to answer them in realtime.

This Twitter Chat will allow the open access community and the general public the opportunity to ask questions about the current state of open access publishing in different parts of the Global South. Our chat participants will be able to reflect on issues such as: the particular challenges posed by open access publishing in the Global South (South Africa, Latin America, and China in particular); the future of open access publishing in the Global South; and how open access journals in the Global South ensure they are recognised as legitimate and quality publishing channels within a global scholarly communication system.

OASPA will be moderating the questions tweeted on the hashtag, and we’ll aim to get as many questions answered as possible during the chat. The chat is open to everyone, so please do spread the word to anyone you think might be interested. If you have any further questions regarding the chat, please don’t hesitate to contact Leyla Williams, Events and Communications Coordinator, at leyla.williams at oaspa.org<mailto:leyla.williams at oaspa.org>.

Our recent webinar on open access publishing in the Global South with Xin Bi, Ina Smith, Abel Packer and Lars Bjørnshauge can be found here.<http://oaspa.org/information-resources/oaspa-webinars/> Our blogpost reflecting on the discussion is here.<http://oaspa.org/panelists-discuss-open-access-publishing-global-south-oaspa-webinar/>

—————
Leyla Williams
Events and Communications Coordinator
Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, OASPA
oaspa.org<http://oaspa.org> | Twitter: @OASPA<https://twitter.com/OASPA> | Sign up<http://eepurl.com/bYkP8r> for our mailing list