[IRTalk] How open science helps researchers succeed | eLife

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:53:39 SAST 2016

We take a researcher-centric approach in outlining the benefits of open
research practices. *Researchers can use open practices to their advantage
to gain more citations, media attention, potential collaborators, job
opportunities and funding opportunities.* We address common myths about
open research, such as concerns about the rigor of peer review at
open access journals, risks to funding and career advancement, and
forfeiture of author rights. We recognize the current pressures on
researchers, and offer advice on how to practice open science within the
existing framework of academic evaluations and incentives. We discuss these
issues with regard to four areas – publishing, funding, resource management
and sharing, and career advancement – and conclude with a discussion of
open questions.

https://elifesciences.org/content/5/e16800