[IRTalk] Fwd: [PAC-LIST] UNESCO PERSIST survey on national digital heritage preservation policies

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:21:33 SAST 2016

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Stellenbosch University Library
*http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2992-208X
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2992-208X>*

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julia Brungs <Julia.Brungs at ifla.org>
Date: 19 July 2016 at 16:12
Subject: [PAC-LIST] UNESCO PERSIST survey on national digital heritage
preservation policies
To: "pac-list at infoserv.inist.fr" <pac-list at infoserv.inist.fr>, "
ifla-l at infoserv.inist.fr" <ifla-l at infoserv.inist.fr>

Dear colleagues,

Persevering digital content for the future is one of the biggest challenges
for libraries, archives and museums. The pace of technological changes
quickly renders file formats obsolete, or leaves them inaccessible when the
software required to read them, or the operating systems and hardware it
runs on, becomes outdated.

Digital heritage information needs regular, ongoing interventions to
preserve them. These interventions must ensure that the content can
continue to be accessed by users and that it is as meaningful today as it
was when first created. Unless we take the actions needed to preserve our
digital heritage we are in danger of losing large tracts of it now.

The need for strategies and solutions is increasingly urgent. The UNESCO
PERSIST Project has therefore launched  a survey which will provide a
valuable overview of the current long term preservation strategies and
policies in all Member States of UNESCO. We are specifically interested in
the involvement and role of governments or national policy makers in
formulating your national or federal policies and strategies on the
preservation of digital heritage.

*We therefore kindly ask you to participate in the survey:
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2900854/UNESCO-PERSIST-Policy-Survey
<https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2900854/UNESCO-PERSIST-Policy-Survey>. *

The survey results will help identify governmental needs and trends in
national preservation policies.

The survey will close on *15/09/2016* and should not take more than 15
minutes to complete. If you prefer to reply by e-mail, please write to
wilbert at helmus-advies.nl.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Best wishes,

The UNESCO PERSIST Project

Julia Brungs

Policy and Research Officer

International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)

P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague
Netherlands

Phone: 0031703140884