[Irtalk] A social networking site is not an open access repository – Miss Library Grrrl

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 10:51:12 SAST 2016

This article from the University of California entitled ‘A social
networking site is not an open access repository‘ explains very clearly the
difference between using an institutional open access research repository,
and using an online platform such as ResearchGate or Academia.edu
As a Librarian I understand the importance of open access repositories for
enabling the reuse and preservation of research data. However, I am sure
for many academics and researchers this distinction may not be so clear –
especially since a lot of it is in the platform’s fine print

https://misslibrarygrrrl.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/a-social-networking-site-is-not-an-open-access-repository/