Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:20:34 SAST 2016

Our estimate that 85% of all health research is being avoidably “wasted”
[Chalmers & Glasziou, 2009] commonly elicits disbelief. Our own first
reaction was similar: “that can’t be right?” Not only did 85% sound too
much, but given that $200 billion per year is spent globally on health and
medical research, it implied an annual waste of $170 billion. That amount
ranks somewhere between the GDPs of Kuwait and Hungary. It seems a problem
worthy of serious analysis and attention. But how can we estimate the waste?

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2016/01/14/paul-glasziou-and-iain-chalmers-is-85-of-health-research-really-wasted/