[Irtalk] What is ‘research impact’ in an interconnected world? | Unlocking Research

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:47:08 SAST 2015

Perhaps we should start this discussion with a definition of ‘impact’. The
term impact is used by many different groups for different purposes, and
much to the chagrin of many researchers it is increasingly a factor in the
Higher Education Funding Councils for England’s (HECFE) Research Excellence
Framework. HEFCE defined impact as:

*‘an effect on, change or benefit to the economy, society, culture, public
policy or services, health, the environment or quality of life, beyond
academia’.*

So we are talking about research that affects change beyond the ivory
tower. What follows is a discussion about strengthening the chances of
increasing the impact of research.

https://unlockingresearch.blog.lib.cam.ac.uk/?p=252