[Irtalk] Fwd: [dspace-community] JOIN DuraSpace in 2015

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:44:27 SAST 2015

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Stellenbosch University Library
*http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2992-208X
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2992-208X>*

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carol Minton Morris <cmmorris at duraspace.org>
Date: 21 October 2015 at 15:58
Subject: [dspace-community] JOIN DuraSpace in 2015
To: DSpace Community <dspace-community at googlegroups.com>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

Oct. 21, 2015

Read it online: http://bit.ly/1M8iqcH
Contact: Valorie Hollister <vhollister at duraspace.org>

*Become a Member of DuraSpace in 2015*

*Winchester, MA * The 2015 annual DuraSpace Membership Campaign that raises
funds to support the continued advancement of the DSpace, Fedora and VIVO
open source software will come to a close at the end of the year. While
Duraspace projects proudly provide these applications for free for anyone
to use, we rely on membership fees to pay for staff who provide technical
leadership, strategic planning, and community outreach coordination, and
facilitate timely software releases. Meeting our 2015 campaign financial
goals will ensure that our open source projects have the crucial funds they
need to advance and maintain the open source software our communities rely
on.

Here’s where we stand:

**VIVO membership year is offset from other projects, most renewals on
calendar year basis  *

For a complete listing of members visit: all DuraSpace members

• DSpace members <http://duraspace.org/all_members> (
http://duraspace.org/all_members/dspace )

• Fedora members <http://fedorarepository.org/membership>

• VIVO members <http://vivoweb.org/sponsorship>

*Here’s what’s at stake:*

Each open source community has some ambitious plans. By project they
include:

*DSpace*

With participation from the DSpace community, the DSpace Steering Group has
laid out plans to modernize DSpace software to meet the community’s needs
of the next 5-10 years. This major revamp of DSpace will be a large
undertaking, but there has been a great deal of progress already. A detailed
roadmap <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RoadMap> has been
approved and includes the following:

   -

   Efforts to increase global input
   -

   New and improved single user interface
   -

   Single search and browse system
   -

   Single built-in statistical engine
   -

   Admin user interface for configurations
   -

   Simplified Community and Collection hierarchy
   -

   Lowered effort for content deposit
   -

   Hierarchical metadata support
   -

   Relationships between objects
   -

   Enhanced statistical reporting
   -

   Enhanced basic preservation

*Fedora*

Re-vamping Fedora over the last few years was an enormous undertaking and
the work is still on-going. Current efforts include:

   -

   Easing migration from Fedora 3 to 4
   -

   Design and delivery of Fedora 4 training opportunities - i.e.
   international Fedora 4 workshops, Fedora Camp
   <http://duraspace.org/node/2602>, and developer-focused training
   -

   Support for international Fedora user group meetings
   -

   On-going Fedora 4 feature development and maintenance

*VIVO*

The VIVO governing groups have made real progress on plans to improve the
software. Current efforts will ensure VIVO meets the needs of the community
in the coming years. Those efforts include:

   -

   Broadening community contributions and participation
   -

   Delivery of VIVO version 1.9, including support for commercial
   triplestores  to significantly improve performance
   -

   Addition of vitae, reports and more visualizations
   -

   Expanded coverage of the VIVO-ISF ontology to the humanities and to the
   behavioral sciences
   -

   Development of a training program for those new to VIVO
   -

   Further integration with ORCID, PubMed, SciENCV, CrossRef, institutional
   repositories, and SHARE

*Here’s what you can do to help:*

In order to achieve each community’s ambitious plans we must have your
financial support. By joining DuraSpace you will have the opportunity to
support the projects that are of interest to you, and also to have a voice
in project governance. Watch this short video to learn more about being a
DuraSpace member: https://youtu.be/H86N4MQ9hEA.

Become a DuraSpace member by simply completing the on-line membership form:
http://duraspace.org/become_a_member. If you have any questions or need
more information about membership, please contact Valorie Hollister <
vhollister at duraspace.org>.