[Irtalk] Librarians Versus the NSA | The Nation

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu May 7 23:12:26 SAST 2015

“Like a lot of other librarians, I started thinking about privacy a lot
more acutely, I think, right after Snowden,” she told me. “I didn’t know
just how much privacy was being violated, and what we weren’t doing to
address it.” The American Library Association has counted privacy among its
“core values” since 1939, but *Macrina thinks that now, in the age of
dragnet data collection by intelligence agencies and corporations,
librarians aren’t taking enough concrete steps to protect their patrons, in
many cases because they don’t have the technical skills.*

http://www.thenation.com/article/206561/librarians-versus-nsa