[Irtalk] Why are librarians hesitant to CANCEL ALL THE JOURNALS? – Confessions of a Science Librarian

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:32:03 SAST 2015

As a species librarians are rather risk-averse.* Institutionally, academic
librarians are rarely the most powerful constituency on campus and
maintaining the influence we do have is a tricky dance at best.* This is
not to mention that many librarians are quite happy with the subscription
status quo as it more-or-less is. *Handling journal subscriptions is a
clearly defined role, one that makes us feel important. If that importance
is often more in the cynical eyes of the publishers* who flatter us than in
the eyes of the local communities whom we actually build those collections
for, well, that’s nothing new.

http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2015/06/26/why-are-librarians-hesitant-to-cancel-all-the-journals/