[Irtalk] Where Should You Keep Your Data?

Lazarus Matizirofa lazarus.matizirofa at nrf.ac.za
Fri Jun 26 08:42:39 SAST 2015

Hi Hilton

I cannot expand further than the NRF Open Access Statement. The Statement is very clear on what grantees need to do with their research data linked to the NRF funding requirements. I believe therefore that individual HEIs should come up with their own policies to assist grantees to adhere to this requirement and other funders requirements as well, much more positive open access agenda than one which often wrongly thought to be driven purely by compliance with research funder requirements. NRF OA Statement is available at  http://ir.nrf.ac.za/bitstream/10907/103/1/oastatement_2015.pdf

I also suggest that the same principle should apply when an institution becomes a signatory to the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities - http://openaccess.mpg.de/Berlin-Declaration. All relevant policies should be developed to reflect as much as possible Open scholarship agenda and practice.

Regards,
Lazarus

Meiring Naude Road
Brummeria