[Irtalk] The Winnower | DIY Scientific Publishing

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:28:34 SAST 2015

*The technology, I think that is clear, is readily available. The money, is
currently locked up in subscription funds, but cancellations on a massive
scale will bring in just over US$9b annually – more than enough to build
this infrastructure in a very short timeframe. Thus, with money and
technology readily available, what’s keeping the scientific community from
letting go of antiquated journal technology and embracing a modern
scholarly communication infrastructure?* I’ve mentioned human shortcomings
above. Perhaps it is also an all too human shortcoming to see the obstacles
towards such a modern infrastructure, rather than its potential:

https://thewinnower.com/papers/what-should-a-modern-scientific-infrastructure-look-like