[Irtalk] Fwd: [GOAL] Cross Purposes

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 19:07:56 SAST 2015

FYI.

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
Stellenbosch University Library
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum at gmail.com>
Date: 5 June 2015 at 18:40
Subject: [GOAL] Cross Purposes
To: "Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)" <goal at eprints.org>
Cc: jisc-repositories <JISC-REPOSITORIES at jiscmail.ac.uk>

No, the purpose of “repository-focused green open access” is not -- and
never has been -- "to prompt libraries to cancel journal subscriptions,
forcing publishers to restrict themselves to coordinating peer review at a
vastly reduced price from that currently charged for journal-focused “gold”
open access
<https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/content/elseviers-open-access-edict-exposes-friction-between-green-and-gold-advocates#comment-form>"
(though that is indeed what I think will be the eventual outcome).

The purpose of green open access, mandated by universities and funders, is
(and always has been) *open access*.

Open access (Gratis
<http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/08/greengold-oa-and-gratislibre-oa.html>)
means immediate (un-embargoed), free online access to the final
peer-reviewed drafts of peer-reviewed journal articles.

Berners-Lee, T., De Roure, D., Harnad, S. and Shadbolt, N. (2005) Journal
publishing and author self-archiving: Peaceful Co-Existence and Fruitful
Collaboration <http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11160/>.

Harnad, S. (1995) A Subversive Proposal
<http://www.arl.org/scomm/subversive/toc.html>. In: Ann Okerson & James
O'Donnell (Eds.) *Scholarly Journals at the Crossroads; A Subversive
Proposal for Electronic Publishing*. Washington, DC., Association of
Research Libraries, June 1995.

Houghton, J. & Swan, A. (2013) Planting the Green Seeds for a Golden
Harvest: Comments and Clarifications on "Going for Gold"
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january13/houghton/01houghton.html>. D-Lib
Magazine 19 (1/2).

Sale, A., Couture, M., Rodrigues, E., Carr, L. and Harnad, S. (2014) Open
Access Mandates and the "Fair Dealing" Button
<http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18511/>. In: *Dynamic Fair Dealing:
Creating Canadian Culture Online* (Rosemary J. Coombe & Darren Wershler,
Eds.)

Vincent-Lamarre, P, Boivin, J, Gargouri, Y, Larivière, V and Harnad, S
(2015) Estimating Open Access Mandate Effectiveness: I. The MELIBEA Score
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/>. *JASIST* (in press)