[Irtalk] A distinction without a difference - Scholarly Communications @ Duke

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:22:19 SAST 2015

It appears that *Elsevier is making a distinction between an author’s
personal website or blog and the repository at the institution where that
author works*. Authors are, I think, able to post final manuscripts to the
former for public access, but posting to the latter must be restricted only
to internal users for the duration of the newly-imposed embargo periods.

http://blogs.library.duke.edu/scholcomm/2015/05/29/a-distinction-without-a-difference/

*​Now Elsevier wants institutional copyrights in addition to author
copyrights!​*
*See: **http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/Data_Sovereignty
<http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/Data_Sovereignty>*
*And: http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/Data_Authenticity
<http://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/index.php/Data_Authenticity>*
*I wonder how institutions will react to
Elsevier trampling all over their rights?*